Published by Cel Manero from Global One Media, Inc.
“The concert documentary of the renowned pop icon had its initial screenings on October 12 and was subsequently released nationwide in theaters on October 13.”
“Taylor Swift’s highly successful concert film, “Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour,” made a significant impact at the box office. The documentary hit theaters on October 12 and garnered a massive audience during its opening weekend. AMC Theatres, the film’s distributor, reported total ticket sales of $92.8 million over its three-day debut period, including Thursday night previews. This impressive performance ranks it as the fifth-largest opening for any theatrical release in the current year.
On Monday, AMC Theatres unveiled the final box office figures for the film, which played in 3,855 theaters nationwide. “The Eras Tour” achieved a remarkable per-screen average of $24,073 and earned $37.5 million on Friday, $32 million on Saturday, and $23.2 million on Sunday.
Directed by the documentarian Sam Wrench, the movie has now secured the top spot at the box office in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Mexico, Australia, Germany, and the Philippines, as confirmed by AMC Theatres.”
“The concert film has secured its place as the fifth-highest-grossing opening of the year. It follows the tremendous success of Greta Gerwig’s Barbie movie, The Super Mario Bros. Movie, Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse, and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, which had three-day earnings of $162 million, $146 million, $120 million, and $118 million, respectively, according to Box Office Mojo. The film surpasses Oppenheimer, which debuted with $82 million and coincided with the release of Barbie.
Although the film’s original release date was set for October 13, Taylor Swift made a surprise announcement at the Los Angeles premiere event on Wednesday, moving the release to one day earlier. On that Thursday night alone, exceeding the initial date for many early ticket buyers, Variety reported an impressive $2.8 million in earnings.”
The recent release also achieved a significant milestone in the concert film genre by setting a new box office record. “Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour,” with its impressive opening of $92.8 million, now holds the title of the highest-grossing concert film of all time. This achievement surpasses the previous record held by Justin Bieber’s 2011 documentary “Never Say Never,” which grossed $73 million domestically over its entire run, as reported by Box Office Mojo.
In a fascinating turn of events, “Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour” technically claimed the title of the highest-grossing concert film in history even before its theatrical debut. This was made possible by the substantial global advance ticket sales, totaling $100 million, which exceeded the $99 million total global earnings of Justin Bieber’s “Never Say Never,” according to Variety.
Due to Swift’s arrangement with AMC Entertainment for the release of “The Eras Tour” instead of the conventional studio approach, the box office performance has proven to be a highly successful financial endeavor for the artist. According to the initial report by Matthew Belloni in his Puck newsletter, 43% of the movie’s gross revenue will be allocated to theaters, while the remaining 57% will be distributed, with the exact division yet to be determined, between Swift and AMC.
Upon the commencement of ticket sales in early September, “Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour” achieved a number of remarkable milestones. The film not only set a new record for single-day advance ticket sales at AMC but also emerged as the top first-day ticket seller on Fandango for the year.
Notably, there were no significant competing releases in theaters during the weekend of Swift’s cinematic event. This was partially due to “The Exorcist: Believer” advancing its release date to October 6, a week earlier than originally scheduled, as announced by producer Jason Blum back in August. He humorously alluded to one of Taylor Swift’s lyrics when sharing the news on X, formerly known as Twitter, saying, “Look what you made me do. ‘The Exorcist: Believer’ moves to 10/6/23″ #TaylorWins.”
Swift marked the release with a celebratory event at the AMC theater in Los Angeles, located at the Grove, last Wednesday. She made a striking appearance in a textured floral cutout Oscar De La Renta gown in shades of blue. Notably, she was accompanied by several notable celebrity guests, including Beyoncé.
The cinematic concert experience is currently available in theaters nationwide, with four daily showings on Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays.
Admission to the film is priced at $19.89 (plus tax) for adults, while kids and seniors can get tickets for $13.13 (plus tax), a subtle homage to the Grammy-winning artist’s birthdate and birth year.
Although the duration of the nearly three-hour film’s run in theaters remains uncertain, AMC is presently offering tickets for screenings through November 5th.